Watching your mom or dad age is never easy. But as daily tasks and activities become increasingly difficult, one of the best ways you can help your loved one maintain independence is to partner with a compassionate, professional in-home caregiver.
Choosing the right home care provider isn’t an easy task, however. With the many home care agencies available in Ohio, how can you know which one will give your family member the best care while also treating them with the respect and compassion they deserve?
If you’re ready to partner with a home care agency, you undoubtedly have many questions about the process. We created this infographic to help you find answers to those questions as you evaluate care agencies based on the services they provide, their client process, and their customer care. In it, you’ll find:
- 10 caregiver questions you should ask every care agency during the interview
- Essential information you should have on hand before your call
- Information that will give you a good picture of how the agency hires and trains their staff, what kind of care they provide, and how you can be sure your family member will be treated well
+ Bonus Caregiver Questions To Ask Before You Choose An Agency
As you prepare to interview care agencies, take a look at the agency’s website to learn basic information about the types of care provided, specific services available, and payment options. You can expand on these topics with additional questions during the interview. Keep these tips in mind during the research process:
- Get recommendations. Talk to healthcare professionals in the field, your mom or dad’s doctor, and any friends or family members you know who have worked with a home care agency previously. Ask them which agencies they have had the best experience with and find out what they think about each provider you plan to contact. Look online for reviews and ratings. Do they have a lot of reviews? Look for independent review sites that have verified reviews such as bestofhomecare.com and look for agencies that have awards. See if they are accredited through the BBB and if they have an A+ rating.
- Check references. The agency should supply a list of references such as health agencies, rehabilitation facilities, social workers and other providers they have worked with. Call these references and ask them whether they regularly refer patients to the agency and what sort of feedback they have heard from clients.
- Consider the agency’s technology innovation. Does the agency have an online portal where you can view care plans and communicate with caregivers? Do they respond to communication quickly? Can you access information about your loved one via mobile? These are all useful ways to stay informed about your mom or dad’s care.
- Understand their process. Will you have the opportunity to interview caregivers? What happens if the caregiver isn’t a good fit? Will the same caregiver serve your loved one at each visit? How does the agency provide accountability for quality of service?
Download Your Guide
We understand the importance of finding the right caregiver for your family member. The questions included in this guide will help make this process as straightforward and informative as possible.
Give your mom or dad the gift of independence at home with quality, compassionate in-home care.